feed da fishes...or you'll be swimming with them

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Night Owl


I have discovered recently that I never want to go to bed, but I love to sleep. This is a dilemma. What I hate the most is the mere act of getting ready for bed. It is quite annoying to me that I have to do so much before I can climb into my blissfully beautiful bed (oh, fancy pants). Ever since I got braces it has been a constant battle against the ever-so-important need to floss. It takes three times as long for me to floss than it does a normal person, and once the flossing is over it takes me three times as long to brush my teeth than it does a normal person. I have to count ten times per tooth section with an electric toothbrush... that's top and bottom. It's not like I have to do that, but I have this overwhelming fear of what will happen if I don't. I really want my teeth to look good underneath once all the metal comes off. I don't want it to be like opening a two-year-old casket... it may look decent on the outside, but you really don't want to see what's on the inside. So I floss a lot, and I brush my teeth a lot. I brush at least 7 times a day. And yes, I am sick of it.

Another thing that keeps me up at night is that I love to watch TV downstairs in our family room. Sometimes I fall asleep while watching TV for a wonderful 30 minutes, but then wake up only to discover that I have to go upstairs to bed. By the time I get up there, I feel awake. So then I get on the computer to kill some time and that makes me even more awake. 

Then there's the fear of having to wake up in the morning. It's on Saturday nights when I feel this the most. You know why? Because the next day I have to teach Primary. And they're five-year-olds. It has it's rewards. There's nothing more precious than little children... climbing up the walls, jumping off of the furniture, and telling you to lean in to hear a secret only to have them scream in your ear. That wasn't funny, Rachel. 

Another thing that keeps me up is my recent diagnosis of Pleurisy. My Mac dictionary gives this description of it: inflammation of the pleurae (in the lungs), which impairs their lubricating function and causes pain when breathing. Even more simply put: constant left-sided chest pain. I have had it for at least a month now and I am hoping there is a light at the end of this tunnel. The doc has me on two types of medication: a beta-blocker and an anti-inflammatory, which might account for me being sleepy during the day but wide awake at night when the hoot owls are out. Who-who knows. 

This is Night Owl, signing off. Goodnight, world.

No comments: