feed da fishes...or you'll be swimming with them

Sunday, September 27, 2009

I Wanna Breathe That Fire Again


This weekend I went to Salt Lake City and saw The Killers. They were wonderful. It was the best thing I have ever been a part of. I will definitely be seeing them in the future.

I was surprised to walk in and find that my seat was about 15 feet off the left side of the stage... that's stage right from The Killers point of view. I was so close! When Dave walked onto his platform at the beginning, it was like I could reach out and touch him. It was perfect. I had a clear shot of every single band member, and when Brandon ran out in his feathered jacket, I about had a heart attack. He looked amazing, and just as I imagined!

They opened with "Joy Ride", and it was powerful. We had a little bit of a letdown after the song was over when they started to play "Human" and had to stop because of a technical delay. Brandon said they'd be back in 5 minutes, and they ran off stage. 20 minutes later, after a stubborn light on the floating catwalk was fixed, they came in with a bang... again! It started with a huge countdown on the screens behind the stage, turning to blue lights and a ticking clock, with the lights shining out and all around us. Then they appeared again, and we went wild. "Human" started, and the show began... again!

The Killers had great stage presence. I really admire that about them. Brandon had such charisma and he was great with getting the audience involved in every song. He made us feel like part of him. Intense energy just poured out of him into the audience, and we couldn't help but just dance, sing, and shout from the first song all the way to the end. I have never seen so many excited people gathered in one place. When I looked around, everyone I saw I felt like I knew, and I know it is because we were sharing something really great. Music truly brings people together, no matter where they are from or what their background is.

From the very first song, it was like this powerful force just took over Brandon's entire body. I could feel what he felt and his passion just poured out of him. The audience caught the rush and it was a great experience that I got to share with so many people. In that moment we were all equal. All because of music.

The finale was awesome... well, the word "awesome" just doesn't cut it. It was astounding. After "All These Things That I've Done" and a massive snowstorm of confetti, Brandon spoiled us with "Sam's Town" and "Jenny Was A Friend of Mine". After those two songs, some people were starting to leave (what were they thinking?) and Brandon said, "We've got one song left in us. You guys going up the stairs I'd go back and sit down in your seat if I was you.... It's a fine song, it is." Boy, was he right! They played "When You Were Young", and it was phenomenal. When the pyrotechnics went off, I could feel the heat. It was out of this world. The crowd was so into it and I just about broke out of my skin.

Watch something similar to what I experienced here.

This was one of the greatest experiences of my life so far. I know that probably sounds silly of me to say, but I have such love and respect for these wonderful people. You can really tell that they care about the music, not about what anyone thinks they should be. They play because they love it. The Killers were so wonderful live because I was able to witness what a powerful part music plays in their life, and it was amazing to see how that power transfered to each one of us. The barrier between musician and audience member did not exist. There was no barrier; it felt as if we were one with each other. When Brandon looked my direction, I felt like it was me he was looking at. His passion is what made the music even more fantastic. To see The Killers live is entirely different than just listening to them. Seeing them live let me become a part of them, just as they are a part of me. What we shared together will last forever.

Setlist for September 26, 2009

1. Joy Ride
2. Human
3. For Reasons Unknown
4. Bones
5. Joy Ride (Piano Reprise)
6. Bling (Confession of a King)
7. Shadowplay (Joy Division cover)
8. Somebody Told Me
9. Smile Like You Mean It
10. Spaceman
11. Losing Touch
12. A Dustland Fairytale
13. Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis Presley cover)
14. Read My Mind
15. Mr. Brightside
16. All These Things That I've Done

Encore:
Sam's Town
Jenny Was A Friend of Mine
When You Were Young

No comments: