feed da fishes...or you'll be swimming with them

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mighty Companions

Loved ones are not always in the form of a parent, sibling, spouse, son, or daughter. They may not even be human.

As human beings, we were given The Fall. Because of it, we understand the differences of good and evil. Animals, however, do not know when they have done something wrong, but they do feel physical pain. As humans we can recognize when animals are suffering, and I believe these small souls to be an instrument through which the Lord eases human suffering.

My family got a Miniature Schnauzer puppy when I was twelve. We named him Zeke and he became an instant member of the family and my best friend. Before Zeke, we had horrible luck with dogs: they never seemed to be around for long. Zeke was different. He has been a part of our family for nearly ten years now, and he is as adorable as ever. 

A couple of years ago, I remember going outside to Zeke’s doghouse and noticed something was wrong. He was hunched over and he could barely move. He wouldn’t eat his food or drink any water. It tore me apart to see what was happening to him. He was in so much pain. It came across my mind that I might lose him. I was in pain because of his suffering.

My dad decided to give Zeke a blessing. I had never seen an animal blessing before, and it was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. I knew that my Heavenly Father would heal him, and heal my breaking heart. The next day, Zeke tasted his food. We were able to get him some medicine and it was only a matter of time before he was back to his perky self.

I know that when Zeke was given his blessing, he was being watched over. His pain was eased, and mine was as well. God knows me, and He knew how much I was hurting. He eased Zeke’s pain and in turn eased mine. Zeke is an instrument through which my pain is eased.

Another small soul that helped me was a goldfish named Tangelo. He was my sister’s fish, and was bright orange, feisty, and had a wonderful personality. One day, Tangelo turned upside-down and stayed that way. He would swim all over the place on his back. At first, we thought it was rather funny, but he soon started to turn black. He looked very sick and he wouldn’t eat.  He just stayed upside-down behind his castle. 

One night, I was watching him. He looked so helpless and sad. He wasn’t feisty anymore and his wonderful personality was fading away. I was hurting because I could see that he was suffering.  I have heard that goldfish have only three-second memories. Whether this is true or not, I do not know, but I knew Tangelo was in pain. I said a prayer, asking for help. I said, “If he is suffering, please take him. If you need to take him, I will let you. It is in your hands now.”

The next morning, I awoke and knew his pain was over. Tangelo died during the night. It was hard to admit to myself that I prayed for my pet to die. I learned that my sister, in Provo at the time, had done the same. Through Tangelo’s pain and his death, I learned about my Savior's love. 

These small souls, and so many others that have come into my life, are a means by which my pain is eased.  They are great blessings and gifts from the Lord. They have such beautiful spirits: for anyone who doesn’t know of the marvelous spirits of animals, I feel sorry for their loss.  Animals are a wonderful and miraculous gift, and I know that these small souls are here for a reason.

Now is a the time to reflect on the special people and special animals that have been such an important part of my life and have changed my life for good. I know I will deal with many losses as I near the end of my own life. I hope I do not allow grief to consume me or forget to thank my Heavenly Father that I have been given the opportunity to know His kind sons and daughters and His beautiful creatures that have blessed my life and comforted me in times of darkness and pain.

No comments: