feed da fishes...or you'll be swimming with them

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Where Do I Go From Here?

This is a written statement submitted to the University of Idaho; written January 19, 2009.

Driving along the familiar country road that leads to Rexburg, Idaho, I catch a glimpse of the sun breaking above the jagged peaks of the Grand Tetons. The sun hits the vast fields of sparkling snow and the frost-covered cottonwood trees and glistens along the curve of the Snake River. My mind ignites with excitement and the desire to capture every moment. The Snake River Plain where I grew up is only a small, yet important part of what motivates me to capture nature and life through photography and design.

I have been creative all of my life, whether it be taking photographs, studying the cover art of my favorite novels, or looking at the world and imagining all the ways to capture, create, and share what I have discovered there.

At Brigham Young University-Idaho I decided to major in Communication with an emphasis in Advertising so that I could learn ways to bring my passion for design to life. But I cannot give all the credit for my creativity to only myself. My sister, Mattie, is the one who has influenced me the most. She has motivated me through her passion for capturing life on-stage as a playwright. When I take a step back and watch her making her difference in the world, I ask myself what I could do to make mine.

My sister teaches me to push through the boundaries of what seem ordinary life situations to find the boundless creativity that only lay beneath the surface. She shows me that nothing in this life is what it seems because beauty is all around me. It is up to me to make the choice to discover that beauty and capture it in my mind and my heart and bring it to life so that others may feel it. She reminds me that something created simply or even by accident has the potential to become a work of art. Where a plant in the beginning of its life is miraculous, the skeletal frame left in winter is just as captivating.

I love to photograph nature. It is something that can be personal and intimate. I am close with whatever project I am working on. I know I am capturing a moment that may never be captured again, like an iceberg in its final moments. Someone else may see the same object, but do they see what I see? Do they feel what I feel?

I aspire to incorporate my designs in the film and theatre industry. A few of my personal projects include posters for my sister’s future theatrical productions. Nearly all of my life I have been influenced by plays and movies and I am at the theatre often. Sometimes what grabs my attention the most is not simply the play or the movie but the advertising just outside the theatre’s doors. I usually find myself standing in front of a large theatrical poster in awe, pondering how the artist was able to capture the entire mood for a film; they have one chance to tell someone a story at first sight.

It is those moments—studying a theatrical poster or the design on the cover of a book, the way the light comes through a window or casts shadows through the trees—that I feel it could be me behind the camera making it all possible.

During my undergraduate studies at BYU-Idaho I worked extensively in Adobe programs InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. I took courses in visual media, custom images, and photojournalism that included design tutorials and photo excursions. Some projects included a large framed poster and a portfolio website. These courses taught me the most about photography and digital imaging.

An emphasis in Advertising has given me a lot of background in design principles. I am currently the layout artist for a Google campaign as well as a business magazine. I feel that my time at BYU-Idaho was a great place to start and now I want to continue to learn even more about design.

I know that the MFA Art program at the University of Idaho will help me reach my goals and will act as a vessel to guide me to a higher level of creativity and learning. I want to continue to push myself through boundaries and continue to be challenged. I hope I can be changed and influence change in this world. I feel that the University of Idaho has the perfect atmosphere in which I would be able to bring my personality to life through design.

Whatever I do, I will always remember what has inspired me to achieve my dreams and I am forever in debt to those who have helped me get to where I am in my life. The photograph in my mind of the sun breaking over the mountains when I travel that country road will forever inspire me. I look forward with optimism at all the possibilities that lay ahead.

No comments: