feed da fishes...or you'll be swimming with them

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What a Dream Did for Me

A couple of years ago I had a dream about a lost member of my family. In the dream I came across a room and began digging in some old trunks and boxes. Inside them I found an old photograph album, and in it I saw a picture of a young man, in 1800s dress, leaning against a rail on what looked like a ferry. His face wasn’t entirely clear. It struck me in the dream that this person was very important. Also in the album was a letter from this young man, and it was written to me; he knew who I was. All I remember from the letter was the young man’s name and that he was telling me things I needed to do, and I knew that somehow I should know this man. Everything in the dream seemed to be clues about who this man was and where I could find him.

For a while, my search for Septimus Ridehalgh felt like I am chasing a dream, and that maybe he wasn’t connected to my line at all. I asked myself why I had the dream I did. I know it wasn’t telling me to find one person, but all the people I can who are lost in my family.

I was finally able to make the connection. I believe that Septimus and I are cousins from way back and share the same John Ridehalgh as a family member. It was an amazing discovery that I am hope is correct. But I remind myself that even if he isn’t connected in the exact way I believe, I still found someone who needs the promises of the new and everlasting covenant. His family needs them as well. There are at least twenty names or more that I can take to the temple.

It was all because of a dream that turned out to be an important message that gives me the opportunity to focus on someone beside myself. It motivates me to change my life so I can change theirs.

No comments: