feed da fishes...or you'll be swimming with them

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

To Every Thing There is a Season


Life usually comes full circle. Things don't just happen once or twice in a lifetime, but rather multiple times in one's life. To think that life can be measured out on one lengthy timeline seems somewhat ridiculous. What if my timeline looks more like a squiggly, or a curly-q, or a set of circles? Whoever decided that life is supposed to go in one particular direction? Life just isn't that simple.

I have noticed something happening with young adults of the LDS faith and it happens all too often and all too soon. Why do Mormons discourage themselves by placing life on a strict timeframe of things they feel they should be doing? Too often I've heard things like, "I'm in my 20s. I should get married. I should have my career going." Instead of thinking that it should happen, why not start thinking that it could, and that it will

Sometimes it is so easy to compare what we don't have with what others have. We think someone else has been given more blessings because they've found love, started a family, and landed a dream job all at an early age. We may think ourselves less fortunate when we haven't accomplished the same thing. 

One thing I have come to realize is this: it isn't that they are more blessed than I am. They are simply in a different season of their life, one I haven't seen yet but soon will, even if that means it isn't happening tomorrow. 

I am going to stop stressing. Those of you who are experiencing the same thing, stop stressing. Remember this simple scripture: "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." We experience the seasons of life in different ways. It doesn't mean the leaves will never fall or the flowers will never grow. It just means it may happen at a time we never expected.

No comments: